testkumah

Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Unseasonable weather, ain't it?


By David Brinn from Israelity

As most of the country experiences 14 straight hours of heavy rain in a last gasp of winter weather, I'm reminded of something a friend once told me.

As we heard a radio weatherman forecasting rain, he commented, "Israel's probably the only country where a downpour can be thought of in patriotic terms."

I understood immediately what he meant - water is another one of those life and death issues in Israel, which is taken for granted in so much of the Western world. I haven't heard much recently about the level of the Kinneret - the country's only natural water source. But it can't be too good, as the rainfall until today has been rather mild.

So as I was leaving an event last night, and people were huddled in the doorway preparing to make mad dashes for their cars, there was hardly a grumble or a mutter to be heard. In fact, the only comment was from a heavily made up, high-heeled woman (who, if anyone, should have been perturbed at going out in the rain).

She said, "It's about time - we really need the rain. I hope it will last for a while." We all either nodded, or grunted in agreement before dashing off into the night.

Rain - good for the country, good for the farmers, I kept on repeating to myself this morning, as it took me twice as long as usual to get to work.

And my friend who had the insight those many years ago? He moved back to America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home